No fines had been issued to anyone quarantining with the platform. Only one person was removed to hotel quarantine; however, that was for providing incorrect details on their border pass, unrelated to their compliance with the check in system.
Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young this week said authorities would be reviewing the trial for returning Queenslanders as it progressed, with the fully vaccinated participants able to return until October 18. “We won’t wait until its completion,” Dr Young said.
Comments by authorities about people failing to respond to invitations to be part of the 1000-person trial of home quarantine frustrated many who were forced to reapply for border passes or exemptions to enter the state after a two-week pause on hotspot arrivals in early September.
Strict criteria for that trial — such as the need to fly into Brisbane airport, have 14 days’ worth of groceries on hand and a standalone property to stay in within eight south-east Queensland council areas — meant many of the thousands sent an invitation were ineligible. Many others wishing or able to take part have not been offered a place.
Tweaks to the text message systems and expansions of the home quarantine option to those needing to travel by road have already been flagged, with high vaccination rates in the south-east corner pointed to as the reason the trial was being conducted in the region.
Amid mounting pressure from the LNP Opposition in parliament this week, the government has remained tight-lipped on plans to further ease travel restrictions with southern states but started hinted towards Christmas as vaccination rates climbed and rejected calls to release the internal modelling about the impact of doing so.
The Morning Edition newsletter is your guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.